Your Challenge: Create Your Own Necklace out of recycled magazines!
Pages from old magazines
Clear Nail Polish
Stirring Stick for Coffee (small straw)
Leather string or ribbon
1. Cut the paper into long triangles (the triangles should be the length of the paper); various widths give you different sized beads.
2. Starting with the large end of the triangle, roll the paper around the stirring stick.
3. Glue the tip of the triangle to secure the bead.
4. Coat the bead with clear nail polish to make it shiny and more durable.
5. Once dry, string your beads onto the leather string or ribbon.
Take it Further:
Try using a sparkle nail polish or sprinkle glitter onto the wet beads for a little extra shine!
- Each day, American businesses generate enough paper to encircle the Earth 20 times!
- Out of this amount, we are now recycling 40%, or 2 million pounds of paper per day!
- If everyone in America recycled 1/10 of their newsprint, we would save the estimated equivalent of 25 million trees!
- In a lifetime, the average American will throw away 600 times his or her adult weight in garbage!
- One ton of recycled paper saves 3,700 pounds of lumber and 24,000 gallons of water!
- One tree can filter up to 60 pounds of pollutants from the air.
- Every Sunday, the United States wastes about 90% of recyclable papers! This wastes about 500,000 trees!